PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2010, 15:29
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no issues with BA. None. OK, I'll admit, I don't care for the F/A's red, white and blue striped shirts. Minor point.

I don't agree with S.F.L.Y.'s focu on 'omission'. If you plan to fly a visual, hand flown, approach, and get distracted and don't turn the A/P off, your actions fit the definition of an omission. Big deal.

As a pilot I'm very disappointed the pilot corps will learn nothing from this report regarding maintaining Vref, or allowing the a/c, IMO, to prematurely slow to achieve the best glide performance.

Also, no explanation about the value of retracting flaps at Vref, as opposed to a much lower speed, and the performance increase(?) that might be achieved.

And the pushover at 200'? What impact did that have on the a/c's sinkrate? Would the next crew that this happens to be better off staying at stickshaker or pushing over at 200' to stop the stickshaker? How much altitude does an airliner need to achieve an increase in airspeed to offset the increased sinkrate?

Yes, the crew was in a desperate situation. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't research their actions, granting them some benefit of doubt due to the nature of the event, to figure out what the appropriate actions are.

Our profession demands a critical analysis of events to help generate improved outcomes in the future.