PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2010, 14:57
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the final report is now 'official' and we can all now start to pick it apart if we choose. I stated very early on in this thread that I didn't like the idea of the crew electing to raise the flaps a notch. This could ONLY cause a descent rate greater than what existed at the time. Raising the flaps that close to the ground is a 'no-no' in my book. I've been in an airplane when the flaps were raised by mistake, and believe me that "sinking" feeling is one you do NOT want to feel in an airplane close to the ground. And we were at take-off power. We did not hit the ground, but the 'pucker' factor was something else !!

I feel that while they might not have made the runway, the descent rate would have been less and consequently, the damge less, had they left the flaps alone. However, being as how no one was injured in this accident, there really isn't much more we can argue about now except if one is ever faced with this situation again in the future, I hope they will NOT raise the flaps to try and gain a little extra distance.

OK.....let the 'flames' begin.