PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2002, 17:08
heedm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say push hard for NVG.

We acquired NVG about 5 years ago, but still maintain an unaided capability.

I'd be mindful of keeping eyes out of the cockpit when there is outside reference, but of course the instrument cross check must be maintained to a degree.

A steep approach provides the best obstacle clearance on average, but at the end of the approach the clearance is the same no matter how you get there. A shallower approach means the power change required to level/overshoot will be lower. Also, observing obstacles & wires from above can be difficult because they're hidden in ground clutter and depth perception is reduced at night. I'm not necessarily advocating a shallow approach, just pointing out some limitations of steeper approaches.

Once your recce is complete, if you can aim a focused night sun beam below your approach path (ie steeper) then you should be able to see most obstacles before they're a problem. This may seem counterintuitive, but imagine approaching a runway to the numbers with trees on short final. Aim the nightsun above your approach path and you'll see a clear runway. Aim it below and you'll see trees. If you aim it right where you're approaching, you should see a clear path, but you may not become aware of the obstacles that pass beneath.

This may seem obvious, but we have to remind ourselves often that maybe the best procedure is to ground transport the patient to a better area or to plan the mission to arrive on scene at daybreak.