PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abysmal Journalism concerning Aviation
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2010, 02:24
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Oh Dear.....What a load of......

I've been on hols - nice - and wot 'ave I missed???

Back in 'dem good ole days' in SY FSC, United OPS used to send OPC (Operational Control Messages) to SY FSC for relay via HF to its SY bound flights from about the FIR boundary onwards.

Those msgs would read something like "For UAL XXX, if you can make (Next reporting point) by time xxxx, at an alt of FL 360 or better, with a G/S of xxxknots or better, with a fuel state of xxx or better, proceed to SY. If not then divert to BN".

This was roughly the format of the OPC from UAL - as far as the ole memory banks can recall.....

These would be duly received from UAL OPS Control just prior to the acft reaching the next reporting point - which were ALL relayed back to UAL OPS Centre - where THEY would do the numbers and direct the pilot accordingly.

And, of course, the flight would simply proceed to SY with a close eye on the fuel state as per the above mentioned parameters.....

Sometimes. I heard they would actually have to divert to refuel for reserves, weather, holding, etc etc......

So, I guess they might still use a similar system??

And, despite the curfew, it was not uncommon for the 747 of the time to arrive off SY 30 mins or so prior to 6am, and be allowed, by agreement that providing no reverse thrust was utilised and so annoy the 'sleeping beauties of SY', they would land RWY 34 from over Kurnell and let it roll to the end.....

OPS NORMAL!!! And that was in the early/mid 70's......

SOME Reporters.....BAH HUMBUG!!