PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2002, 15:54
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
Cor' somewhere in there I would get completely addled and wonder who was flying the machine! Do you take box lunches on these flights?

Sounds very professional... but at least you have all the bells and whistles, crew etc....not much to add beyond suggesting the less knob twiddling the better...one can not have too many sets of eyes looking outside when near the ground at night in a strange location. Even the known locations can have some very nasty surprises erected between visits.

I advocate the mandatory go around at any time , any one, calls chicken....wires....go around....or utters unintelligible words in high octave ranges..... pull max allowable power and after at a safe altitude....sort out what had almost happened. With absolutely no regard towards admonishing a false call.

Also...make as steep an approach as I can and set my nightsun and aircraft landing/search lights for the angle I approach....and fly down the light column if at all possible...looking for those unreported wires.....and on takeoff....do just the reverse....set the landing light/searchlights off to the sides fractionally and fly up the nightsun beam....also looking for the wires. I am less concerned about takeoff profiles...h/v curves....than being able to see the wire that is going to kill me if I hit it.