PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do we feel about the term SLF?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2010, 19:09
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
How do we feel about the term SLF?

As you might expect there is a discssuion on the Cabin Crew forum about BA Industrial Relations. Two posts caught my eye and I'd be interested to hear peoples reactions.
The first from Entaxei (post no 263 on the thread) who indicates he is a passenger reads:
Oh well done Tiramisu - a shot clear down the middle straight through the deliberate twisting of facts by BASSA - clean bowled.
In the mean time and thinking about various aspects of these discussions, it occurs to me that calling the source of your income "Self Loading Freight", is derogatary and, potentially downgrading the importance of your passengers in the minds of BA workers and the manner in which some may deal with problems or complaints.
The phrase is one that is very clever, in keeping with todays culture and brings a wry smile to the face, but is almost akin to saying 'throw your wallet in the basket as you board, we'll give you the residue when you get off'. All of which helps the union view that passengers have nothing to do with the reality of squeezing the last drop out of the orange.
I'm interested to hear your view from the action end.
Cheers Entaxei (Pax).
Post 268 is from flapsforty (a moderator) reads:
Entaxei, this forum is for professional cabin crew. People who actually work in the industry. As cabin crew.
The term Self Loading Freight has been part of PPRuNe vernacular for ever. Itīs a term of endearment.
If that offends you, then I suggest that you redirect your browser to somewhere dedicated to ex-engineers or professional airline passengers.
Like our very own PPRuNe Passengers & SLF forum, set up just for you.
Do not presume to come here and lecture us on what we call you on our own forum.
I've always accepted that Cabin Crew call us Self Loading Freight on the basis that flapsforty indicates " Itīs a term of endearment.". But that final comment does make me wonder.
Without actually saying it I get the impression that terms like "Trolly Dolly" are accepted by crew in the same way that we accept SLF except that crew are always careful to point out that their main raison d'etre is our safety.
Given the complaints we see on here about BA service I do wonder if flapsforty complains just a little to much and Entaxei has a point.