PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 5th Jul 2002, 14:54
Standard_Departure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vertigo, if you took the time to read my posting properly, you would find that the focus of my critisism is directed at the ATC system, in this case skyguide;

And Skyguide, please don't tell me that this is also within your tolerance limits or acceptable standard operating procedures !!!!!
the bulk of the damage was done when they removed TWO vital safety nets, #1 the other controller & #2, the conflict detection equipment.
I am familiar with cross-coupling (of frequencies), also with long and short range screens in close proximity, but what seems to point away from this though, is the fact that the T154 was on frequency and in conflict with the DHL for 4 minutes before a decent instruction was given, what other reason could there be for the delay if all the functions were within arm's reach? I cannot be convinced that any ATC would consider vectoring an a/c to an ILS as a priority over an iminent mid-air.

Where were the coordination telephones for Friedrichshafen? at his own sector, or at another sector? (I am talking about the stand-by phones)

During the work on the radar system there was also some working on the telephone net of Skyguide. Therefore the main telephone line war switched off. For the radar controllers work a backup (bypass) line was available. When trying to establish contact for coordination with FDH technical problems occurred. Between 23:25:43 and 23:33:11 LT the controller tried serveral times to establish contact with FDH. He was not successful
Ref: Click here for the reference

Vertigo, I truly have sympathy for the ATC, I believe that even with the limited information available, it is clear that, the SYSTEM failed, not the ATC. All that remains to be seen is to what extent.

Last edited by Standard_Departure; 5th Jul 2002 at 14:58.