PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do We Still Do PAX Trips in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2010, 12:18
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Not a pax trip in the normally accepted sense of back seat, but had a fantastic trip with FR Aviation when I was holding at 11/18 Gp in 90s. Quite simple to arrange, just rang them up, explained who I was, what I was doing and asked if it would be possible to get an experience flight. Having expected a 'no', I was a bit surprised to be told get yourself to Teeside on Friday, we're playing the Russians and 'attacking' Neatishead on a Coffee exercise!

Got to Teeside for the inbrief to find I was going to be part of a 3-ship going against the UK AD network - 1x Falcon providing stand-off jamming, 1x Falcon as the Soviet bomber and a Hawk playing the cruise missile.

Whilst not as punchy as going supersonic, it was a fascinating trip for a holding officer, with an experienced ex Nav down the back showing a baby officer the best way of jamming the radars before we started our attack with the Hawk flying close enough tto us that we would, I was told, appear as a single track on radar. At a predetermined point, the Hawk broke position, dropped to LL and ran in against the target.

Once all the fun and games were over, then it was time for the real 'fun'.
The ac captain was an ex-Canberra mate who affectionately referred to the co-pilot as 'the YTS trainee' and by now was getting restless and wanted to play.

'Do you get airsick?'
No why?
'There's a jump seat that looks like a tea tray between the bulkheads, pull it down and get strapped in'.

We then proceeded to do LL battle pairs all the way up the east coast before 'attacking' Teeside and a rather punchier run in and break than I had ever been taught on the UAS ... much to the annoyance of ATC and the several airlines trying to depart!

Not sure you would ever get anything like these days - budgets, H&S and anything else the pen pushers can put in your way, but still worth being necky and asking for. If you don't ask, you don't get, but your best chances these days are multis or RW who are normally more than happy to take authd pax.