PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2010, 22:11
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot training in UK, WW2

My first two lessons on the Tiger Moth were of 20 minutes, described as Air Experience, and 30 minutes where I was allowed to handle the controls. Next came 45 minutes when Barton asked me if my seat harness was tight. Then he inverted the Moth and I fell out! Well it seemed as if I did, but it was only about half an inch. He told me to tighten up and then proceeded to do every aerobatic in the book, - and some of his own invention; loops, half rolls of the top, slow rolls, inverted glides, tail slides, stall turns, and spins. He finished up with the falling leaf when, despite the tighter belt, I did feel i was being flung out.
When we landed, he said, “ What did you like best?” I said, “ Stall turns and slow rolls, Sir.” “Not Sir, I am a Sergeant. You’ll do.”
I continued to address him as Sir, in the air. One or two pupils were very sick and had to clean out the rear cock-pit, as prescribed by the unofficial law, "Those who make it, clean it." They were given the same test later and some continued to fly, but some were still sick and were scrubbed.
I noticed in an earlier post the “Mary Pickford” mnenomic before starting. Barton taught me T, M, P, F, F, S; and U, M, P, F, T, S before landing and said it would serve for any aircraft.
Our flying zone was between Windsor Castle and the river Thames to the North, and the Vickers Factory at Weybridge to the South, from which barrage balloons flew above the lower clouds and made a good homing point. The intricate pattern of fields below made it essential to learn the local map in detail.
My worst experience in the Moth came when I was preparing to do some aerobatics above the clouds at 5,000ft. I had a good look all round then started a loop. As I pulled up after the loop a Spitfire dived down just ahead of me and I hit his slip stream. My aircraft was thrown onto its back and then into a spin, - very disconcerting. The Spitfire was probably practising an attack and did not think about the effect on my light aeroplane.
Many of the Moths had small bomb racks fitted and, once a month, the Instructors had dive bombing practice with 11 lb smoke bombs on the Pill Box on the airfield. In the event of a German invasion they were supposed to attack the invasion barges with small explosive bombs! The nearest point on the coast was about 40 miles away, but it would have been a one-way ticket!
One day I arrived at the Flight hut at 7-30 and F/Lt Cubitt told me to have an aircraft started up, “To do a weather check.” Once airborne he told me to fly over The Hog’s Back. He cut the engine and said, “ Forced landing! Put me down in that field to the left with the hay stack.” I landed and I was told to turn back ready for take off. Then Cubitt jumped out and said, “I will only be a minute or two,” and proceeded to fill a bag with mushrooms.
When I went to the mess for breakfast at 9-00, a waiter appeared at my side with a large plate of cooked mushrooms. “ Mr H.........d ? With F/Lt Cubitt’s compliments, Sir.”