PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single prop stall recoveries
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2010, 20:40
madlandrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's diverging a little from the original post, but: I learned to fly in the Firefly 260 and do a fair amount of teaching on a Lance now. The Lance will bite you hard if you recover from a stall without using the pedals and use aileron instead, but it will also do a full power stall recovery with no attitude change if the controls are handled correctly - no danger at all of it getting truly exciting if a) the aircraft is correctly rigged and b) flown in balance! In 65 hours I had 1 inadvertent spin in the Firefly: messing up the second half of a stall turn, which was totally down to my mishandling of the controls at a low airspeed.

I'm not in any way trying to detract from PAPI-74's opinions - but in my experience on both types a standard stall recovery with power & control input simultaneously works nicely. Bear in mind that the power input is not designed to unload the wing (if anything it'll cause an involuntary pitch up), but rather to accelerate the aircraft into a climb faster to give minimum height loss.