PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the MU2 - facts please.
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2010, 14:04
Ag2A320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dream Land,

Ah,the dreaded Bendix FCU: let see typical faults were: Couldn't select reverse unless you pushed up the C/L to 100%; had to remember to connect the P2 ref line heater or the engine would surge in Low Temps or not respond to the power lever as reference pressure line blocked.

Had a J Model, pull that trick one winter on a TUL - ORD run, takeoff & climb was fine, about 1 hr into cruise @ FL 210 ATC asked me to slow for in-trail spacing ( @ 340Kt G/S was overtaking an RJ) pulled the power back to slow 20Kts and after being cleared to resume normal speed, pushed up the P/L with no response, It wouldn't accelerate or go to FI just held a steady 60% TQ. Request to go direct to TUL and began a descent to 12,000 ft in the hope that warmer air below might unfreeze the line. Solid IMC till about 30 NM out of tulsa ;( low ceilings precluded landing at the nearest airport) combined with the fact that the other engine was a bendix too, it kept the "frozen engine" running till breaking out in CAVOK conditions, then shut it down and flew a vis app to 36R.

To this day if anybody asks me to fly any Garrett with @ Bendix FCU, the first thing i do is open the cowling and verify the P2 Heaters work.

The only Woodward product to give the odd problem was the prop sync ( early on/off models), and then it either worked or popped the C/B.

Regards,

Ag2A320