PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2010, 13:40
Nav Rad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarrant Ruston

Whist I cannot get over excited regarding the discussion on dispersals, Micks, Micky Finns and Kinsmans (did anyone mention the latter?) and have not, I have to say, read every reply. However, I felt that as a particular airfield caught my eye I ought to say something. I served 38 years in the RAF as aircrew and Nav Radar and flew the Valiant, Victor and Vulcan and can assure the odd doubter and uninitiated that Tarrant Rushton did exist as a dispersal airfield. It was one of 148 Sqn's, a Valiant Sqn, and I flew one of our Sqn's Valiants into it when I was stationed at RAF Marham in the early 60s (date of flight in and out can be supplied from my Log Books). Our crew stayed in a local pub. The SMO, an RAF policeman and an ATC officer came down from Marham by road. The idea was that we flew in an aircraft and opened up these type of dispersals from time to time to exercise the facility ready for any future dispersal of aircraft. Name of the Irish SMO and Air Traffic Officer can be supplied. Unfortunately not that of the policeman or his dog. The latter I believe to be deceased, otherwise it would be in the Guinness Book of Records for longevity!