PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you please not drink that in front of me ....
Old 7th Feb 2010, 13:40
pinkus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of a tricky one.

I worked for a Gulf Carrier for a few years that has a somewhat strict approach to staff travel ( Having to move seat if another pax IFE not working, not to take amenity kits, very strict dress code etc. They also did not hesitate to revoke your staff travel privileges over the most minor of incidents) So bearing that in mind I probably would have taken the pussy approach like your friend.

However from the sound of your post your friend was not travelling with his own company so in that case I would have politely told the guy to sod off.

Perhaps during Ramadan people should be a bit more understanding but not under normal circumstances.

I am guessing the guy who complained was from a GCC country ( UAE/Saudi/Kuwait/Doha etc and it really gets up my nose when these people get all high and mighty about these things.

I understand a lot of Gulf Arabs feel that they are losing their culture. BUT....
They NEED expats to run their country. They think its beneath them to work in a shop or a bank or to drive a taxi ( Oman and Bahrain being the exception to this) and their population is so small that even if they did want to work they would still bring in outsiders.

They have opened up their countries to foreigners and are more than happy to take money from us by charging exorbitant prices for rent, groceries and YES alcohol amongst other things. Not to mention the amount of money that all of the Gulf Carriers bring to the region. But when it suits them they want to be all ultra religious.

This part of the world is full of contradictions! You mentioned your friend was going to going to SE Asia. First thing that popped into my head was Emirati going to Bangkok to sleep with as many hookers as he can. Hey maybe he was actually super religious, maybe he was just travelling for business but trust me he would be the exception.

END RANT !

Last edited by pinkus; 7th Feb 2010 at 13:50.