PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2010, 12:56
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was 'VMC on top' of an extensive layer of cloud, in sight of the surface albeit a distance away, with 'holes' in the cloud through which I decided to descend.

Obviously I wasn't 'VMC on top' in the true sense otherwise I would have had to ascend through some 3,000 ft of cloud with the same lack of gyro instruments to get there in the first place.

So the closing in of the 'hole' through which I descended was unexpected as I naturally didn't intend flying through cloud at any stage of the flight - I just didn't want the detour of many miles to the coast to descend at the edge of the cloud layer.

I fail to see how flying on top of cloud without gyro instruments, in itself, is a problem in any respect?

As I mentioned in a previous Post I have spent many happy flights in gliders thermalling in towering cu without any gyro instruments (other than a battery powered turn and slip) without any incident - as have many others.

I had no intention of flying in cloud without adequate instruments - that was the point - I didn't expect a 'hole' a mile wide to close up so quickly.

KR

FOK