PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Caravans
Thread: Runway Caravans
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2010, 12:17
ASCOT Ops Retd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sitigeltfel

IIRC, when the pilot called "Greens" the runway controller would toggle his Tx switch on the tower intercom box a couple of times to let the local controller know it was verified. Is this still current practice?

You are quite correct as an Ex RWC we used to get one bip at 8 miles and one at 3 or 4 miles and we would reply with two bips to the Local Controller. Only remember two red flare waveoffs in my career........

Veeps
My caravan TORs were slightly different - we would acknowledge on the Hadley Box when the controller transmitted 'Radar traffic, 4 miles, to [option]' - it wasn't confirmation on seeing the gear.

It's also worth mentioning that comms were traditionally quite bad between the Caravan and Tower, as they were plugged in and out every day - GRSF spent a lot of time fixing a variety of gremlins. On one occasion a Tornado was the last recovery of the night to Bruggen and in misty weather he'd turned off the landing lights without saying so. After a couple of failed attempts to contact the tower via intercom, Hadley Box and phone, I opted to transmit 'check gear, check gear' on the selected frequency - which didn't get a response either. Result: I fired a red and the jet had to divert to the UK for the weekend due to being bingo fuel. The crew apparently phoned up from the UK to complain about the red, and how the aircraft's location now screwed up exercise blah blah blah, totally missing the point of how I could have saved their neck if they had no wheels, yet all they ever needed to do was mention 'no lights'. My fault though, of course...