PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 7th Feb 2010, 00:21
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air rabbit

average pilots don't have much left over for an emergency. if you have more than enough ''oomph''' when you need extra...you have it...if you have enough ''oomph'' you don't have anything left over.

pilot vs. copilot...a captain is always responsible for what the copilot does...a smart copilot will have all the answers the captain asks before he asks them...a captain can kill you if you are the copilot and unaware.

pilots can learn from many things...but they have to be willing to learn...learning from mistakes is like inventing the electric light bulb each time you want light...instead of just switching on the power and paying your bills.

I hoep you learn many things but not by the concept of making a mistake...try ttry try reading a book about flying you never read before...you might learn something there for example

or when sitting around the ready room...ask all the pilots what they have learned this year...and maybe you might hear something worthwhile.

as for aim point, threshold crossing height...etc. at one regional airline I flew for about 22 years ago, a genius tried for a spot landing...right on the numbers...and he did it with the nosewheel...but the mains fell short of the runway and were creamed off by the runway lip.

So, I came up with a course of CRM/and good piloting habits. After one session it was cancelled due to a lack of money. The first question I asked was: mark on this picture of a runway, 1000' from the threshold as you land.

75% of the class couldn't circle the nice little white fixed distance markers.

So I went through everything...threshold crossing height...aim point/touchdown point...etc.

You can teach stuff, or even learn from books if you and your airline don't have the oomph to teach it.

But you have to want to learn. I had one guy who was more interested in the pilot lifestyle than being a pilot.

and think about it...Fedex and UPS pilots are paid more to fly boxes than major airline pilots are to fly people.