PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I.E.D's A solution ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2010, 19:50
Gunnerrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Thought!

I have been pondering about this for a while now. I believe what is needed is more eyes on the areas/routes that IEDs are being laid/used. We presently have a few UAVs but do we have enough for the size of the task? While Predator B and Reaper are fantastic pieces of kit but they are quite expensive. Wiki quotes Reaper at $10.5 million for one aircraft with sensors. This price does not include ground crew/aircrew, satellite bandwidth cost etc.etc.
Why not have a low cost airframe that has medium endurance/range (5 hours), with a medium cost surveillance pod, manned by people actually in the aircraft?
After a bit of research it seems we could actually buy one straight of the shelf!
The Seeker Sb7l-360A seems ideal for the task, already proven in desert conditions of the Middle East as it was bought by the new Iraqi Air Force.

http://www.seabirdaviation.com.au/pa...nfo%20Pack.pdf

Not only could they warn and report IEDs (and be used as FAC to call in Air/Artillary/Mortar fire on the IED teams) but could be used for other FP aspects - Searching for IDF teams around KAF/BAS etc.They could also be used by providing real time aerial surveillance to Coy level operations being on the same net as the troops below.
If we had a few Sqns of these aircraft we could could have more eyes on. We don't even have to crew them with Officers. SNCOs could do the task of both pilot and observer (RAF Regt)

Well, that's my two pence worth anyway......