PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I.E.D's A solution ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2010, 19:48
NutLoose

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,252 Posts
AfricanCrisis&

Well there you go DaveJB, exactly what I meant, wheels remote from the body pod and the body shaped to deflect the blast AND IT WORKS.......... Call me old fashioned, but I cannot see the logic of putting the driver directly over the wheels unless you are hoping to use the axle as extra protection,

I also cannot understand why we over complicate military vehicles these days what with fuel computers and those for the drive train...... So it may meet UK emission requirements etc, but in the field you need something that can be repaired locally using the basic of tools, I work on piston Aero Engines amongst other things that can loose a cylinder and will still run, indeed they can and have got people across the channel and to an Airport, they can have a cylinder replaced in a couple of hours with a few basic spanners..... Bar the landrover most of the new stuff appears to have lost that simplicity of repair.

The image of a column of £1,000,000 vehicles being lead down a road by a man walking with a metal detector sums up why what i suggested (and appears to have been successfully developed) is needed.

You seem to think just because we mention something then we are talking about using them in built up areas, far from it, when you see some of the paths these guys have to clear up observation hills etc the facility to simply go through all the radio frequencies to detonate one radio controlled IED and save the life of one person would make the whole idea worthwhile. Also I seem to remember the UK they were developing a localised mobile phone jammer to nullify their usage in certain buildings, but then scanning the phone frequencies with the first suggestion would be a possibility.

Last edited by NutLoose; 6th Feb 2010 at 20:08.