PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2010, 15:26
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learnt a lesson about VMC on top many years ago.

My instructor had warned me during training to be very careful, particularly when descending through a 'hole' in the clouds as they have a habit of closing in around as you descend.

Unperturbed a few years later I enjoyed a glorious flight VMC on top in sight of the surface (plenty of big 'holes') in an open-cockpit home-built at around 6,000 ft.

Over Kendal I saw a large hole and started my descent to an expected cloud base of around 2,000 ft.

On the way down Warton Radar asked if all was okay as I appeared to have stopped moving on their radar.

Truth was the 3,000 ft or so descent through cloud was in ever decreasing circles as I ended up in a tight spiral dive trying to maintain sight of the surface. I finally popped out into the murk at less than 2,000 ft and Kendal seemed closer than I expected.

The words of my instructor filled my head and I realised once again that I had learnt about flying the hard way - nothing illegal (complied with Rule 5), but nevertheless I was stirred if not shaken! It could have been much worse had the cloud base been lower, had I gone IMC in a steep spiral dive with no attitude instruments only an ASI and Altimeter (less than some gliders).

The expected rarely kills - it's the unexpected that can create a potentially lethal situation in absolutely no time at all.

KR

FOK