PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - żIs it the end of the $panish dream?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2010, 12:01
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those interested on a bit of background on this issue, I have posted a brief critique of a well-read Times article in another post. Any Spanish ATCOs or anyone else knowledgeable out there are welcome to correct any factual errors I may have made.

Now, from my personal point of view as a pilot who occasionally flies in Spanish airspace, I would have no beef with AENA controllers being paid whatever if they were worth it. As it stands however, they consistently manage to pull off the worst controlling this side of the Med, to say the least.

From the very limited sample of Spanish controllers I've met in social or flying settings, it does not reassure me that they're capable of kicking up such as stink when their bottom line is involved, while safety issues (such as controller training) are met with complete passivity. With a few notable exceptions (IME found mostly in the South, at the likes of LEZL, LEMG, LEJR, ...and LXGB ), I don't think these people should be working in a position of responsibility at all in any industry, let alone earning a high salary.

In the past when I have had an issue with controllers in Spain I've dealt with it by means of a telephone conversation with the tower involved and/or a chat with the relevant people at operations, on the advice of local pilots who tell me that filing occurrence reports doesn't get you anywhere. I am thinking, however, that such reports may fall on more sympathetic ears these days, so from now on I will start sending those every time I feel safety has been compromised... and I'll Cc them to the Infrastructure Minister just for good measure.

In other words, I can hardly fault the Spanish government for not feeling they're getting their money's worth out of AENA controllers. Just my opinion, you're welcome to disagree

Last edited by LH2; 6th Feb 2010 at 12:02. Reason: typo