PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My adventure in the Top End
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2010, 10:15
Krazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll leave huey's discussion to the other thread where it's taken hold. In the mean time, I spent most of the day travelling again in order to follow up a couple of leads. I agree with what everyone (especially those who have 'been there, done that') is saying: find a place and stay there if you can. This definitely seems to be the way to get a job in the current climate. I don't necessarily advocate this as being the way things should work, I am saying that this appears to be the way things do work. At least at the moment.

I have a suspicion after talking to some senior people in GA, that things aren't always like this. ie., there are definitely times when supply doesn't far exceed demand like at the moment, and during those times, hiring could work a little differently. But these are the times we find ourselves in, so this is what we must do.

It's not easy though to say to yourself you are going to hang around somewhere where you know for a fact there are many more pilots than there will be jobs. Sure, some pilots will leave, and sure, people will (I assume) get hired on their merit - so some are obviously better than others. But it is a hard thing to do.

For now, I still have leads (and I use that word EXTREMELY loosely) to follow up. Unfortunately a couple were at point Z and a couple at point Y. Opposite directions. But, I can only go one step at a time.

One thing I have found is that all the people here (as in the North West of this country) in my situation are all pretty friendly and you can't go wrong meeting them and making new friends!