PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vikings to West Africa
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2010, 09:26
KeMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like the Airwork/Hunting Clan service which was operated with Vikings although it did not start until I think 1954. The route was also different. Airwork went Blackbushe - Bordeaux (later Biarritz) - Tangier - Agadir - Villa Cisneros - Dakar -Bathurst - Freetown - Robertsfield/Abdijan - Takoradi and Accra. Hunting Clan started at Bovingdon. However there were flights through Gib. Many of the Gold Coast flights for most airlines followed the coastal route (as above) although I think and I may be wrong, KLM, Sabena and BOAC may have had flights at some point that routed through Kano to Lagos and then terminated at Accra. When I grew up in Kano in the 1950s and early 60s most flights that went through were either on their way to Lagos or Cameroon and quite a few went directly South after refuelling eg William Dempster, South African Airways, US military flights to the Congo and South Africa.
Airwork did have a contract to carry personnel for the Ghana Chamber of Mines but I do not know the route or dates unfortunately.

Last edited by KeMac; 6th Feb 2010 at 09:29. Reason: spelling