PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Airports EFPS
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2010, 08:42
Not Long Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not on the working group and have only very briefly seen the new proposed set up for TC (the best was a demo of the new system on a weekend with the project lead answering questions, unfortunately the demo broke and noone was available to fix it, so it basically became a 'static' demo!).
I fully believe it is the future because nearly all projects in the pipeline rely on it being in place and NATS doesn't like changing direction. Will it be fit for purpose? Yes. What will that purpose be? Read the very small print and don't presume your idea will be the same as someone else. Does that mean it will make the ATCO's life easier? Not necessarily. Will it be able to handle more traffic? Certainly not immediately, personally I can't see it ever being quick enough to actually increase capacity in the TMA.Will it save money? Again presumably in the long term.
Now it's not for a lowly ATCO to decide if that's a good idea for the long term, that's presumably why board members and higher managers get thir bonuses.
I just hope it doesn't increase my workload too much, and I can get over the fact I've made 5 typing errors just writing this, let alone in a busy days worth of controlling.