PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opportunity with start-up in Hawaii - NZ company
Old 6th Feb 2010, 07:47
Offcut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is some sensible opinions being offered here. Believe it or not, a lot of us actually want you guys coming through GA to do well and have good careers. If you can learn from the experiences/mistakes that others made (in and out of the cockpit) then hopefully the industry will be a better place for all.

So, while this guy may be legit and intend to start a real operation with an actual plane and pilots that he pays, he probably isn't. I really hope I'm wrong as the more light twins employing pilots in NZ the better.

HOWEVER, there is no reason to demand a potential employees money up front, in advance, for services that he can't properly detail. There is no reason for him to need any of your money. Requiring a type rating and IFR currency, that he could provide for a nominal fee is one thing (but still not great), but twenty grand is a straight out rip off. Be very clear, this is not a bond. You are buying a job. Which is basically what I did with CityJet. Not only did it hurt me financially, but it lost me a lot of respect amongst my peers, which hopefully I have back.

If it was me, I would go to the interview, answer the questions, and if offerred a job I would agree to signing a bond for the cost of training (3-5k) that is pro-rated over 18 months. He has his labour security and you don't get scammed. If he doesn't go for this its probably a scam.

Now, whoever offerred the free beers........Fine, I'll buy my own.