PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 5th Jul 2002, 07:16
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Flashman,

You may have police connections but you are not exactly Hercules Poirot – you are wrong, wrong and wrong again

1. I am not and never have been DCFI at MW – I served for 7 years on exchange there as a Lynx/Gaz QHI – a simple look at the ‘from’ box at the bottom of the post would have told you where I work.

2. You can have phosphor pretty much any colour you like – look at your computer screen (if it’s not LCD) it has red, blue and green phosphor dots to produce the colour image. As I mentioned before, the eye is most sensitive to the green spectrum and can therefore discriminate between more shades of green than any other colour – rather useful if you are trying to interpret a single colour display.

3. The main improvements from Gen II to Gen III were the use of Gallium Arsenide as a photocathode (the bit that turns the incoming photons into electrons and sends them down the Micro Channel Plates) and the coating of the MCPs with an ion absorbing material which helps prevent damage from strong light sources and increases the tube life.

4. If the police are only going to fly above 500’ using NVG then I agree that Gen II would be adequate but if they are going to be used for approach and landing to field sites then they would be significantly better off with Gen III.

My lesson on the eye was meant to inform not patronise as many people use this forum to increase their knowledge of aviation matters – me included and 3D seemed to have confused night vision with using goggles.