PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 20:34
innuendo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SD,
I am not familiar with GPT/EFT issues. The GUID requirement I only found out about when I tried to install an OS update.
I got a message telling me that it could not be done. The initial cause of this whole thing was due to the "Authorized Apple Service' installing a larger drive in my MBP without partitioning it GUID.
I would have understood partitioning to be dividing the drive into, well, partitions however it can remain one single partition, but for Apple OS it is necessary to install either the OS or updates.

I doubt that drives from most of the manufacturers would be partitioned for this Apple requirement, my WD 320GB was not.

CCC and I believe Super Duper, will copy over verbatim all your old drive including the OS, to a new one and all will appear normal until you try to install/re-install the OS or an update.

Disk utility has the tools to do the partition.

In my case I copied the entire new drive contents, (it had been in use for some time), to an external. I had the original that had been replaced in another external housing with the all original content intact.
I used it as the boot drive then formatted and partitioned the "new" disk and copied the cloned content from the external. Bit of a chore but I did the copying overnight.

As a matter of interest, the first clone I did I connected using an Express card via E-SATA and it took 3 hours. The final copy back to the "New" drive would not work by E-SATA for some reason, it took about eleven hours by USB.
Sorry for the rambling but some of the techs that work both Apple and PCs may not be aware of the partition requirements.