PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best spin I have heard since Bill Clinton and the definition of "is"
Old 5th Feb 2010, 20:07
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...

I once modified a Cessna 172 with a student's landing just a little short of the threshold that left it with semi-retractable landing gear. When we looked out the left side window there was this mainwheel, still attached to the airframe after the trunnion bolt had snapped. How odd...

The magic number at the time was $10 thousand, one of the boundaries between an accident and an incident because that was the diffo between minor and major damage, along with whether certain critical components are damaged. Luckily for me, that one was an incident.

I have seen stuff in Nigeria that left bits of aircraft all over the place that was nothing much, I guess. Heck, there was one where a BAC-1-11 crew plopped it back onto 19L after the stickshaker actuated airborne, when they went screaming off into the bush off the end of the runway, startling the hell out of Peter Seidel, just about to motor across there in his Beetle. The airline ground crew came and dragged their airplane away, policed up all the bits and that was about that. Of course about a month later they found a big crack in the main spar, or so I was told but still nothing much happened in an official sort of way. Marvelous place!