PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax Comment - Help Please from Boeing Drivers
Old 5th Feb 2010, 17:32
UK019

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As ever, Pilot Pete gives the real gen. He should write a textbook. Maybe he has(?)

Since 1978 I've had 2 passenger complaints about 2 of my landings. Perhaps I should be more accurate - I've had 2 complaints that I've actually heard!!

The first was in the '80s when I put an F27 down in a crosswind using the standard wing-down technique and subsequently a loud-mouth (a barrister as it happens) complained very vocally about the fact that I had landed on just the one main leg first. He was actually practically frog-marched to the flight deck by our No1 (who was incensed.) I explained the technique, and we then had a nice - polite - little discussion about how he would feel if I yelled "objection!" from the public gallery in his courtroom.

The second was in a B737-300 in 2001 at CDG when the complaint was relayed to me that my landing was "too fast and dangerous." Granted, it wasn't the prettiest but it wasn't "dangerous." As far as I recall the speed was just right, but I don't know what the passenger's personal ASI on the seat back in front of him was indicating (!!!!!)

The point was that I saw, if not actually red, certainly a pretty strong shade of russet. Anyone who knows me would say that the fact that I got out of my seat and tapped the oaf (a real oik) on the shoulder was totally out of character for me. I explained that I had received his complaint, took it very seriously and that when I returned to the UK I would have the FDR trace analysed. I explained that if - as I believed - this was a perfectly normal landing I would consider sueing him for defamation.

I still cannot believe that I said such a stupid thing to a fare paying passenger - but I was rattled and I did. Fortunately the gentleman grovelled and didn't call my ridiculous bluff - thank goodness.

The very best reply that I've ever heard of was an American pilot who came out of the flight-deck to confront his seat 18A critic. He quietly said "Sir, do you really think that we give a sh*t about what you guys think about our landings?"

As many of the posts have said - it happens and it'll happen again.

Happy landings, as they say.....