PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi B777 burst 12 tyres in aborted takeoff at NRT
Old 5th Feb 2010, 15:14
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checkboard;
That means that it's a bit rich to say "12 tyre bursts are not important"
My original post, if read by a non-aviator who doesn't know about these things, would leave the impression that "tires burst" but I'm writing in a forum where professionals dwell and my meaning, not made as clearly as I am accustomed to making, was nevertheless clear to everyone else - that the fuseable plugs did their job.

Let's not get stuck on minutae, but try to turn our focus on why the reject occurred. I did mention in my post that there have been at least seven other incidents not counting the Air France Lagos B777 reject where the autopilot was inadvertently engaged on takeoff and the comment was "the aircraft could not be rotated". That is an interesting bit of information.

Nobody rejects because the autothrust wouldn't engage, especially under those circumstances - at least I sure hope not.

Rather, there is a large issue lying dormant here which I thought that others reading PPRuNe would have picked up on the Lagos thread immediately and at least began thinking about even though we don't have any data yet. There was a comment early in the thread that the control column could not be moved back for rotation. I think that is a huge flag even unconfirmed at this early stage. (As an aside, I see someone has mentioned it yet again which tells me that that person and others do not read the entire thread before posting).

The other question Checkboard is, why would anyone take what the media has to say about such incidents seriously and then actually comment? We are professional airline pilots; we wait for data and, where inclined, speculate intelligently from knowledge and experience.

regards,
PJ2