PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there anthing to be gained by using a flight simulator?
Old 5th Feb 2010, 14:26
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone give me an idea of what you need for a simulator (apart from the obvious computer) and an idea of the costs involved?
- The flight sim package itself of course. Retail price 45 to 60 euros, depending on the version.
- At the very least, a decent joystick. I use the MS Force Feedback 2 - 2nd hand available from Amazon for 100 USD upwards. The force feedback stuff is strictly not necessary but will probably increase your ability to trim properly a bit.
- A set of half-decent speakers

That's the bare minimum. You really don't want to have to fly the plane using the mouse and keyboard alone.

From that point on, the next investment would probably be a proper yoke with some prop/throttle controls, and rudder pedals. The Luchtvaart hobbyshop just around my corner is doing a special combo right now for 226.05 euros.

AviationMegastore.com

As Christmas/birthday gifts, there are various add-on packages available. These usually fall into two categories: more realistic scenery and different airplanes. Retail from about 30 euros upwards but there are also free add-ons available on the internet. And there are interface add-ons available on the internet that do a real-time download from Google Earth.

As for hardware, the sky is the limit. Multiple dual head graphic adapters plus screens or beamers, more panels with avionics buttons and so forth, to the point where people build full 737 cockpits themselves, including the overhead panels. Some are even experimenting with putting them on a hydraulic platform so that the whole contraption moves realistically.