PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 13:03
belowradar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am with those who think that you should plan your flight to be either IFR or VFR and have a very clear distinction between each. It's great to have some skills just in case you get into that grey area in between the two but it really can be a very grey area in the literal sense. I appreciate that IMC training is never wasted but you need to practice it for real and legally to be safe and proficient otherwise it can provide a false sense of security. The mindset appears wrong so I think that is why there are a few flags being raised.

The problem is with some contingency training there is a tendency to push on in lowering viz and weather until all of a sudden you are now solid Imc. Once you are in solid Imc you may well be limited on options and the experience and skill level required to continue safely. This leads onto imc enroute flying and hoping that destination will be better (as forecast?), eventually though your luck will run out and you will need to safely execute an instrument approach (damn I hadn't planned for this to happen and I don't have any approach plates, now where is the nearest airfield with a suitable approach, Oh Sh&*t look at the bloody bank angle ! I don't like this !!!! What is the local MSA ? Isn't there a danger area near here ? Help !

Better to have a VFR mindset and divert early when still VFR