PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 12:55
Kash360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon,
Again thank you all for your posts and PM. My hand is still ballooned up and still has the burning sensation running through it. But I have been given medication, so hopefully will get better soon.
I don’t know how to put this across to you guys. But Maun is a small place where everyone knows each other. I tried to get some bar work but as said earlier you must have a work permit. I know in the UK people work without permits but in Maun the word gets around pretty quick that you are working illegally. I don’t wish to take such risks and get deported, but thank you for the advice.
Also I would like to stress “I AM NOT GIVING UP” far from it. Someone raised the point that you cannot find jobs without having 500TT in Maun, I’m sorry but I don’t think this is true. People who have been invited from outside are friends of pilots or chief pilots with 200-300 hours TT. Maun is one of the only places in the world that takes low hour pilots.
The point rose by a fellow poster about if people have been hired after 2 months then why don’t you stay another month. I wish that was the case but I have spoken to every chief pilot in Maun who has said clearly that they have recruited everyone they needed and that I should come back in November at the earliest.
I believe that people here have been hired because of a number of reasons, which include they have had perfect timing in coming showing their faces for 2 months and so have been hired. Everyone in Maun knows how to fly otherwise pilots would not come, but no one here is disliked my competition are a bunch of great guys who all deserve the jobs they have got. I wish I had come a little earlier but such is life. I get on with everyone here and have been told by a few chief pilots that they would have hired me in a heartbeat however their hands are tied because of management.
I have given it my best shot here, and I will still carry on trying. My spirit is still high.
I have booked my flight and will be travelling to one of the neighbouring countries on Sunday to try my luck there. And as said before, that for every step I take towards their I pray thing turn out for the better.
Nothing much happening at the airport today, yet again an early start and full of hope with a spring in my step trying for the big break. But not much today, spent most of the morning running around trying to get flights for my trip on Sunday.
Will be attending a party later to witness a pilot who has just come on line do an omelette. Which includes eating a raw egg including the shell. Should be a sight to see.

Anyway must go, and as always I hope this post finds you well.

Kash