PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 5th Jul 2002, 02:43
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s time to introduce offset tracking

I have to agree with 410 (page 19) – although offset tracking would not have prevented this particular tragedy, the fact that the accident did occur in a so-called ‘First World’ RNP5 radar ATC environment clearly illustrates his point: - even in the best high tech, safety-redundant environment, the ‘error chain’ can still go unbroken right up to and, it would seem, including the last vital link, TCAS.

It’s time we all started insisting something be done about a potential problem many of us acknowledge is an accident waiting to happen - the decrease in flight safety that highly accurate GPS navigation systems have brought into the equation.

Danny, this site, your creation, has come a very long way since 1996. Can I suggest that you, with the undoubted clout you now have through this site, start a loud campaign to really hammer home the concerns I think you share with 410 and many others, including me. It’s time offset tracking was introduced, RIGHT NOW, without further delay, even in RNP5 airspace, before another accident occurs with possibly far greater loss of life.

I agree that it should be embedded, but I know that will take years to implement, so let’s make it mandatory that everyone with an FMS employs it manually above 10,000’ until the embedded offset is introduced. Bureaucracy being what it is, it’s simply not going to happen unless we insist on it – or another 800 people die in circumstances that this simple fix would so easily avoid.

It’s been said before, but it’s worth repeating yet again. Imagine the meal the lawyers are going to make of it if we ever do have a head-to-head midair (like Delhi and like the one off the west African coast) when it comes out that the many calls for offset tracking have been ignored by the authorities for years. They’ll be suing everyone right down to the assistant cleaner at ICAO HQ.