PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 07:49
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
PEI mate you are turning this into a doctoral dissertation. I respond because you highlight my name in capitals. Despite what PJ2 says I interpret what you say as disagreement with my view that there are already important lessons to be learned.

This is a professional pilots forum. Most of what you have written is semantics and will go right over the head of most of us simple pilots, particularly the non level 6 english ones.

Apparently you are retired, so this is an intellectual exercise for you and it is not terribly relevant how long the final report takes. For those of us still flying, and training new pilots to fly the 737, there are already some pretty clear facts about this sad accident. One of the main benefits of this forum is sharing this kind of information.

Most issues have been covered in detail in previous posts. I would highlight again that this accident demonstrates why being stabilised at 1000 feet in IMC is a good idea. It is irrelevant whether they recognised the nature of the failure. Any number of other things could and indeed might have occured. The reason for this gate is to give some margin so that a go-around does not become an accident as in this case.

It is a fact that if they had started the go-around earlier they would have been less likely to crash. The speed would obviously have been higher, and there would have had more height to recover.

Overdependence on automatics is also an important topic.

It is a fact that if the pilot had been flying manually the autothrottle problem would have been irrelevant. For the non 737 pilots it is a big no no to leave the autothrottle engaged while flying manually.

No harm is done by being reminded of these points.

Most of us would love to live in a world where the only words in the operations manual were 'DO NOT CRASH'. Of course there are bigger issues. But most of us have little influence over the organisational culture of Turkish Airlines et al. Those of us flying can try to learn from the obvious errors that did occur, irrespective of who was to blame.

I respect PEI's obvious knowledge and experience. Actually I do not think there is much difference between his and my views, or those of many others such as PJ2.