PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 06:55
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N5296s

If you read the guys post you will see that he holds a NPPL only! because of a medical condition.

That means that he cannot hold any sort of official instrument qualification and cannot legally fly IFR or in IMC,( unless he flies a glider in which case he can do what he wants in cloud )

Anything he does has to be unofficial and he could only ever use those skills in an emergency situation which is all he as ever claimed he wanted it for.

Theoretically he could MODEL the IMCR and while he would never hold an official IMCR rating he would be as competant as a qualified IMCR pilot.

Currency? There is nothing to stop him grabbing an instructor every now and again or using his PC to keep current.

I commend him for taking his safety seriously by exploring his options to add some instrument flying as insurance against the worst.

nb I hope you and others here are NOT suggesting that a VFR pilot with NO instrument experience is safer than one who has a level of instrument experience? The French statistics dont support that!

The IMCR which many are trying to save is being touted as a safety feature not for some sort of IR but as a safeguard for VFR pilots but that is a different topic.
The IMCR is a pretty minimal instrument flying rating which if nothing else shows that treated with respect it does have safety benefits.

Hence all you can conclude from that is that ANY instrument training has to be better than NONE!!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 5th Feb 2010 at 10:06.