PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 01:54
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be able to fly on instruments, even if a VFR only pilot in a non certified aeroplane. There is nothing wrong with ANY further training, whether someone is then "certified" or not....That includes approaches. So go for it, learn to fly instruments and have some fun. The only reason (one of the..) I got my IR in the first place was because I went on a flying holiday in the USA and the weather was ****e. After a few days of kicking heels around the flying school we thought sod it and got a FI to take us flying in the crap. We got the bug and so ended up doing the IR.

I'm sure that if you interpret what the poster was saying correctly then one can safely assume that they were saying that they wanted to have a back up in case VFR goes tits up. Nothing wrong with that at all. I admit that I have never encountered "unexpected IMC" when VFR but then again I plan a VFR flight as if it will become IFR and so no major deal if it does (except the time the plates were in the back.....)

Actually a neat little trick I often use when VFR. Load the approach in and use that for guidance. We flew into Tucson a while back and having never been there before and because there is a military airfield right next door, it made it nice and easy to find the correct runway....

Use all available tools and be as prepared as possible......that's my motto (well it is now )