PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 01:11
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please don't try it!

I am not about to commence serious IFR flying but would like to be able to fly on instruments in cloud if the weather deteriorates and also navigate using NDBs and VORs more effectively than I am currently able.
There's no such thing as 'casual' IFR. It's all serious and potentially dangerous - especially for the inexperienced and unwary.

The number of people who have 'casually' lost control or flown into the ground is many and continues to build (including pilots I have known - on return from a 'casual' VFR flight that suddenly became IFR and they clipped the top of the only hill in the area).

I would also like to be able to fly an approach on instruments in extremis
With hands clasped in prayer I say PLEASE NO!

If the cloud or vis is low just think of the other possible factors - accompanying wind/turbulence and rain, other IFR traffic, reading approach plates (if you have them), changing frequency, people on the ground, your family!

Until you have flown an approach in bad weather you really can't imagine what it can be like - you wont like it at all but probably will reach the pearly gates having to explain not only why you are there but also why your friend, wife or unfortunate soul on the ground is in the queue with you!

I'm sure someone will put me right!
Please let it be me!

Surely noone could seriously think they could fly ...............

Hopefully a kindly instructor will gently translate dreaming into reality and prove the point that 'fools go where angels fear to tread!'.

KR

FOK