PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aeroplane or airplane?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 00:59
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is fun I must say. The responses or heavily opined and as such cannot really be wrong no matter how much they gainsay each other. I wish that some here would at least acknowledge that there are other possiblities in common useage than those they were indoctrinated with during their formative years ( at some very severe boarding schools I would assume).

Hood or bonnet?? (applicable to a car or a ladies head dress)

Boot or trunk?

rear view mirror or rear vision mirror?

railway station or train station?

Rubbish bin or trash can?

step up to the crease or step up to the plate?

to take this thread seriously or engage in enlightened discussion?

Understandability is a seppification, and one I use, however I admit that I was stunned by a reference to ''Securitization" of a military establishment recently.

I like making up my own words along the lines of Jebediah Sprinfield's quote:

That a people might embiggen America,
that a man might embiggen his soul.

I refer to smallification of items due to technology etc.. most people do not notice these deliberate bastardizations, though I do not doubt that there would be great wailing and beating of breasts followed by rending of garments and gnashing of teeth if some who post here were within earshot.

I personally call it 'the money maker' or a plane or sometimes even an aeroplane, never an airplane, cos that's not me, but I do allow that some people do call them airplanes, and I know what they mean when they use such blasphemous wordage.

I also know what deeners and zacks are and am proud of our aussie way of butchering a language to suit our needs. The 'pommification'of the DAH3 is a defensible useage I believe, as is maggot bag, dog's eye and dead horse. Not exactly the queens english, but never mind, we will be a Republic soon enough.

HD (previously BSA and AJS rider, but I move with the times)