PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the difference between restricted and normal ratings?
Old 4th Feb 2010, 21:33
chrisbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD is absolutely correct in every respect but if I may I will offer some advice.

The internet makes it very easy just to go on the web ask a question and get an answer. This time the answer is is right. A lot of stuff that is put on on these forums is tosh, and often the usefulness of the information is inversely proportional to the thread length.

A far better question to ask would be "where can I find out etc etc". You are directed, in this case you go to LASORS and in addition to getting the answer, you learn to use LASORs a publication of great use as an instructor.

Now when it comes down to teaching a student, I use the approach where I direct the student to where the information is, we discuss it and I then discover whether they understand what they have learnt or are just repeating what they have read.

Just giving the answer does very little to help a student learn. It just makes a student less self reliant or even lazy.