PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this VMC or IMC under FAR?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2002, 23:39
Nick Lappos

Shy Torque,

I was waxing poetically, of course, about speaking to the UK controllers all the time. I am sure they are too busy filling out those big leather bound logs and pouring coffee to have much free time to actually speak to anyone! In the US, they are busy calculating their leave days accrued!

Let me recap the explanation for this VFR/IMC stuff.

VFR is a term that describes the collision avoidance means you are using. It says nothing about if you need to use instruments in order to fly safely. Visual Flight Rules apply for collision avoidance only. If there is enough vis and cloud clearance, then you can be VFR, even if there is nothing showing in your windows due to darkness and geography. While VFR, the rules are "see and be seen". IFR means that you have to let ATC separate you from the other aircraft. It has nothing to do with the fact that you might have to be staring at your instruments.

If you fly night VFR in the US, you must have a full set of instruments in your aircraft, so you can be flying VFR while flying with sole reference to your instruments. You can, of course, log "instrument time" while flying under VFR!

The concept of the need for instruments due to attitude cue environment is not mentioned in the FAR's except with regard to logging time for ratings and currency, where the phrase instrument time is used, and defined in Part 61 as actual or simulated flight "solely by reference to instruments".

In FAR, IMC is only mentioned as it affects the ability to avoid collisions:

Part 170, definitions - "Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) means weather conditions below the minimums prescribed for flight under Visual Flight Rules (VFR). "

In other words, 50 miles off shore, with 3 miles vis and basic cloud clearance, you are under VFR, and can be in IMC, logging instrument time.

Bronx,
Nice try about the 12 mile limit! If you think that when beyond the 12 mile limit you do not need to follow FAR, try busting a rule, and see. US pilots have been violated for flying mistakes in other countries. Also, your PT 135 Ops manual does not mention that it is invalid beyond 12 miles, does it? I thought not!