PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter through Tower Bridge
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 18:35
octavian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rather suspect that if Alan Pollock were to have been reading this thread since its inception, and I rather hope he has, he would have been amazed by the variety of pontifications, hypothesising and general rubbish that has emerged from a wide variety of people who haven't been there, other than in Microsoft Flight Sim and Walter Mitty land, and whose postings lend more to modern justifications of the whys and wherefores of achievements of others than life on a front line squadron in the sixties and seventies.

He did it. Fact. If you don't like it, well just get over it.

Whilst it may go against the grain of the politically correct times in which we live now, if not then, I happen to believe that it was a blooming marvellous action. Well done Sir. I salute you. As one who was present at the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of The Royal Air Force at Abingdon in 1968, soon after Flt Lt Pollock's memorable flypast, I was conscious of his actions, but it was only in subsequent years that I saw the mediocrity against which he was protesting. Look around you people. Now.

Most of us haven't, nor will ever have the capability to do such a feat; marvel at his flying skill and fine judgement of the clearances on the day and, if this applies to you, go back to your cupboards under the stairs or, more specifically, your OO trainset and your box of tissues and stop boring the pants off the rest of humanity.