PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter through Tower Bridge
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 18:16
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bookend
I can't remember a recent incident but perhaps it was this in 2003?
Time flies.
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Helicopter pilot's bridge stunt

The main span of the Skye Bridge is 250m wide and 40m high.
From the news article:
Last year a pilot avoided prosecution for flying his light plane under the bridge after claiming he only did so to avoid a flock of seagulls.
One of the Rotorheads regulars posted this -

I set up a forum poll. Results:
Voting has now effectively stopped so it's time to take stock of what fellow helicopter people thought.
Although the number of votes gradually increased over the weeks, the percentage of votes for each of the four options remained almost unchanged throughout.
  • 311 people voted.
  • The overwhelming majority (60.77%) hoped the pilot would get away with it.
  • Some people seemed to think hoping the pilot would get away with it this time was the same as approving of what he did. (I don't think the two necessarily run together.)
  • 19.29% thought he should be prosecuted and fined, but didn't think any licensing action should be taken.
  • Slightly fewer (15.11%) thought he should have his licence pulled for a short period.
  • 15 people (4.82%) thought he should lose his licence forever. (I only put that one in as a joke, but there you go! )

A few weeks later, two Spanish pilots flew their light aircraft under the 54 feet high Ballachulish Bridge in the Highlands.

They were interviewed by Police and cautioned.

Double Zero
A very good pilot I knew crashed in a display.
Same here.
Another very good pilot I knew died in his bed.

Originally posted by John Farley (quoting veteran reporter John Lawton speaking to the American Association of Broadcast Journalists in 1985):
The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion.
It doesn't always achieve that effect.
Worth considering before you post again?