PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 15:41
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA Pilot Training

I have often wondered how pilot training in the USA differed from RAF training in this country so, recently, I typed in a search on Google and found this site. I started near the end and worked back a few pages then suddenly realised who REGLE was. Reg will not remember me, but I remember being introduced to him at a 51 Squadron association re-union at Wytton about twenty year ago. We last met at Waddington about twelve years ago.
I have now read all 76 pages with great fascination, with several wonderful themes. I don’t think I missed any pages, in which case Reg has a lot more to say about his experiences with SABENA!
My first flight was in 1936 when, as a15 year old, I had a day out at Southport. Flying from Ainsdale Sands was a Fox Moth G - AACB and I spent my entire savings, five shillings, on a brief circuit flown by Norman Giroup, owner of The Giro Aviation Company; and I was hooked.
When war was declared my school pal wanted me to fly with the Royal Navy, but I was slightly colour blind and I knew I would never pass the Navy tests.
An older neighbour had been selected for training as an Observer, but had spent his first year of service as a clerk in the Orderly Room. He warned me, “Don’t accept Immediate Service. Ask for Deferred Service, otherwise you may find yourself doing Latrine Duties!”

Having been on deferred service, I was called to No ! Receiving Wing in Babbacome, traveling down with three local friends who were all KIA during the next few years. On my first night in Babbacome, sleeping in a civilian billet, we were between the fifth and the sixth bombs of a stick, presumably jettisoned by a German bomber as he flew over the coast. I crawled out of the wreckage and found the house-holders safe under the kitchen table. So my first night was almost my last night of what might have been the shortest Service on record. This was the 3rd of May 1941.
After two weeks at Babbacombe we were paraded and march to No 4 Squadron, 5 ITW at the Toorack Hotel in Torquay, by P/O Livingstone and Corporal Ted Ditchburn, the Spurs and England Goal Keeper. Six weeks later we were told the married men were to train in England but the single men were to go to Canada, then cross as civilians into the USA to train under the new Arnold Scheme. The married men left. We bachelors entrained for London, then by coach across London, - not to Euston or Kings Cross but to Waterloo.
You’ve guessed it. The married men went abroad and the single men trained in England.
I started flying Tiger Moths at the Brooklands Flying Club at Fairoaks, now designated
No. 18 EFTS. Quite a different training programme compared with the USA training.