PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:40
regle

Speke2me

I am so sorry but I cannot recall the workings of the fuel system in the Mossie. If it had been the Blenheim then it was a certainty that he had cut the fuel by pulling the fuel shut off valves situated behind and below his left side just above (or below,I can't remember) two identical levers that controlled the changing of the propellor from coarse to fine pitch and was a neccessity to operate after take off to enable the climb out to be controlled. As you could'nt see them and relied on "feel" in pulling the right one, you can imagine what happened time and time again. Yes, the nightmare scenario of baling out in the target area was always with every one of us and more so in my case because of my Jewish background but , like everything else, "It was not goimg to happen to you". Without that in your mind it would have been impossible to continue. In the long run you had to completely dismiss such thoughts from your mind and just get on with the job. I, too am enjoying the Typhoon thread. What a magnificent monster of an aeroplane that was and I wish that I had flown one. See your PM. Regle