PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 family autoland
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 08:27
TyroPicard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stilton
Your profile does not indicate whether you are a pilot, or if you are what type you fly .. but I don't need a profile to realise that at times you operate with a closed mind. I will try to open it however briefly ..

I have flown airliners with manual throttles, moving autothrottles, and Airbus non-moving Autothrust levers (in that order). I reckon the only time that a moving autothrottle is really useful is when hand-flying an aircraft with conventional controls that requires manual trimming in pitch - e.g. B737 which has a large thrust-pitch couple. Pilots develop an instinctive response on the controls to autothrottle movement. Airbus FBW Normal law does pitch trim for you and that tactile cue is not required.

All pilots should include the EPR/N1/whatever you like to use in their scan - it is the dynamic IAS/RoD/CONFIG change situation that makes me check for correct autothrust response, not the autothrottle lever movement. To respond to lever movement by looking at the N1 means that your brain is behind the a/c.