PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMS and insomnia
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 01:41
InDaBack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are all pretty aware of the normal body clock (circadium rythym) so i wont dwell on that but some other advice from after my 30 years of EMS shift work is

Diet is important, eat a larger meal at lunch and a smaller meal at night

Dont drink any stimulants after tea. ie coke, diet drinks, coffee tea
turn off the TV about 930 and settle down with a book. Dont go to bed to read it but sit up. If you read in bed you can develop bad habits with actually falling to sleep. Pick something that is boring. I find medical books are the best, they dont stimulate the brain. Dont read any thing that is too stimulating or a continuing story such as those thriller type novels.

Dont spend the night in front of the internet before going to bed.

I agree with the old feeker, horlicks or just warm milk is good with aiding sleep. Use natural stuff... think of a baby that has just been breast fed.. they drink and then sleep for hours.

Try to reduce those personal issues in your life, no you are not allowed to terminate the x-wife,

If you are required to stay awake at night, try not to cat nap. Go home and go to bed in the morning and try to get enough sleep to compensate for the lost sleep the night before.

jayteeto is correct in having an exercise routine.

Try to relax and not worry about whether the phone is going to ring or not. I know in my first few years of being on call, i was always on edge about the phone, if it was going to ring and what it was going to be. Now my attitude is, it will happen if it happens.

hope some of that may help some...