PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Tomahawk Vs Cessna 152 Vs Cessna 172
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 22:14
LocoDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trusty Cessna 152 gets my vote.

I have done most of my instructing in the 152/172 range, as a trainer the 152 teaches students how to handle cross wind, and have a bit of finesse on landing.
It also makes them look out the window more, they have to, to see past the wings!, and, four hour cross countries in them, keeps you fit, you have to, to avoid the cramp!

I have a fair bit of instructing in 'Tommy's, yes, they are more pleasant to fly, and like most low wingers, arrive, rather than land. In fact, I am loooking for a Tomahawk at present to put on line, to complement a large contingent of Cessnas, something different for the punters to fly, and some do prefer them.

The PA28(Cherokee) is also a good trainer, like the 172, more of a dual purpose trainer/hire aircraft, and better for taller pilots (like me)
Older PA28's in good condition, are quite good value, and sturdy.

Overall, they are all good, I feel it tends to come down to personal preference, the PA28 and 172 would be slightly more expensive to run, due to higher fuel burn, but not much.

Remoak, we need to talk, call in for that coffee please! soon!
AA1-A?? 'concrete sparrow' ?? looks like a tin blow-fly, glide like bricks.
But, yes, the AA5 four seater is not a bad ship, plenty of room......
But, I am totally biased, Cessna born and bred............

My advice to students, is fly what you prefer, they are all different, then when you have licence, spread your wings, and try the others.
I enjoy the lot!
Any sort of flying is got to be better than staying on the ground!

Cheers