PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this VMC or IMC under FAR?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2002, 19:56
Nick Lappos

SASless,

Thanks for the email, which woke me up to this interesting thread, which probes the fundamental issues of VFR/IFR and VMC/IMC:

Here is how I read it:

The Visual/Instrument Flight Rules are used to govern the Air Traffic Control (ATC) issues, which could care less if you roll over and kill yourself, they are written to prevent two aircraft from colliding. Thus, the clearance from clouds is specified (to prevent a peekaboo collision) and the flight visibility is specified, along with the lighting needs to allow you to avoid collisions Visually.

Regarding control of the aircraft, all pilots are trained in Instrument Control of their aircraft, regardless of what the ATC situation is. In Part 91, para 507, the FAA says that you must have full instrument equipment if you fly in VFR on top, or at night, the inference being that this is where it is probable that you need more reference than visual cues can provide.

The slight confusion of this thread illustrates a basic difference between the thinking patterns on each side of the Atlantic! In the States, ATC and the FAA are there to assure that you do not run into each other. That defines VFR, IFR, and night lighting requirements. All other responsibilities are left to the Pilot In Command. You can actually fly without reference to the ground, without outside attitude reference, and without a US Government person giving you advice and direction. Makes my head swim!

In the East Side of the Atlantic, it is all one big muddle, where (given enough paperwork) you climb up into the Government's sky, and an ATC guy protects you, navigates you and also makes sure you are dotting all your i's and crossing your t's.