PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exceeding maximum gross weight
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 20:42
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a very valid point Senior pilot.
One only has to read the old australian army handling notes for the souix and you will see that it is recommended to run the RPM 100 over the the red line for those same sort of departures.

So it is not much wonder that many of us engaged in these over loading type maneuvres way back when we were flying aircraft that were NOT designed to closer tolerances and thus shorter real life by computers. The '47 blade for example was built like the provervial brick turnout.

Jumping helicopters off the ground was a trait often used, but still deplored by many even back then and it was the reasson that many people were killed, particularly in New Guinea, I.e. hot high.

Jerking the collective up was one thing, but getting yourself to an area where you could then push it down again to recover RPM was a real issue.

we certainly spent lots of time teaching people to only allow the A/C to be loaded so that it could be capable of climbing under its own merit.

Even the confined area take off technique that I and many were taught we don't teach operationally any more, certainly not to any one with less than quite some hours, as it is too risky for a miscalculation. I.E going smoothly from light on the skids to full power and immediately setting the angle of attack for the airspeed which gave you the "highest angle of sustained climb". one major problem was the before take off checks to (hopefully) ensure that the turbocharger was going to spool up for you.

which they often didn't on a hot day and the first start up at say 11.00 am after you have been collecting samples.