PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 18:17
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that I wish to defend JAR, but it was exactly the same in our previous national licensing system. No instructing allowed outside training organisations. With the exception of a few things like multiengine type ratings.

But under the JAR syllabus, five hours of basic intrument flying are now included in the PPL course, which is more than nothing. Without regular practise however, these skills will be lost again within a few months.
Which is one very good reason to go onto the N reg

Why can't someone rock up to a FI and say "Look, I have an AI, a TC and a VOR CDI thing, can you teach me to use them please?....oh and while you are at it could you please teach me to fly an autopilot coupled ILS please"....(that last bit might be a problem in Europe as I doubt many training organisations have a funtioning AP )....

Even if skills DO fade, being experienced to Instruments in IMC with a FI is a good thing. At least then IF it happens then the pilot is prepared and probably won't lose the plot.

Basic attitude instrument flying is not really that difficult. In fact I'd go as far as to say that keeping an aeroplane wings level with funtioning instruments is easy.....surely everyone should be able to be taught this if they wish, whether they fly with a NPPL or whatever...